Under the commitment to sharing resources with local educators, and in an effort to support science curriculum throughout local schools, Burpee Museum is excited to announce a new set of free resources: SPARK Boxes! These boxes are STEM-themed kits that are designed to prompt students to ask and seek answers to questions about the natural world.
To see the list of new boxes, visit the SPARK BOX HOMEPAGE
Can’t bring your class to the Museum? Bring the Museum to your class!
Teacher boxes are available for pickup at the Museum! Each box contains touchable items, lesson materials, and real museum resources. Resources can be reserved by calling (815) 965-3433 or completing the form below. Check the Teacher Box Check Out Calendar to see which boxes are currently unavailable.
- General Public: $10.00 Rental Fee
- Burpee Educator/Homeschool Members: Free!
Note: You are allowed to check out up to TWO boxes, for up to ONE week.
Watch the video below to see what you can expect when checking out a Burpee teacher box!
- Big Brown Bats
- Dinosaur Teeth and Claws
- Rocks & Minerals
- Native American - The People of This Place
- Sensory Awareness
- Illinois Emphasis
- Whitetail Deer
I.D.N.R. Resource Trunks
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources has partnered with Burpee to offer a convenient pick up/drop off location in downtown Rockford. Trunks are FREE to Educators in Illinois and can be kept for up to one week. The following trunks are available:
- Aquatic Illinois
- Illinois Birds
- Illinois Fossils
- Illinois Mammals
- Insects & Spiders of Illinois
- Invasive Species
- People & Animals of Illinois’ Past
- Illinois Prairies
- Illinois State Symbols
- Illinois Trees
Individual specimens available (encased in acrylic cubes):
- Apatosaurus Skull Cast (large, heavy)
- American Kestrels
- Belted Kingfisher
- Great Horned Owl (large, heavy)
- Prairie Chicken
- Greater Prairie Chicken (Courtship Display)
- Eastern Screech Owl
- Songbirds (Robin, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Fox Sparrow in one case)
- Northern Cardinals
- Red Fox
- Bird Eggs
- Tree Seeds from the Rockford Area
- Invasive European Buckthorn